Internet Chess Club

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Brownsville TX

Wednesday, 28 May 2003. Houston Calling! If it isn’t one thing it’s another. What else could go wrong? I haven’t had this much bad luck since I left Amarillo. How can setbacks be signified in monetary terms [here]? In my case, that’s easy: Calculator, camera, that $150.00 Western Union money transfer came up “missing”, and, to make shit a bit more stressing, the binding on my most important books (i.e. Chapman’s and my journals) are coming undone.

“What now? I estimate $500.00 USD in wasted expenditures. I will consider myself lucky if I make it to Houston with $1,500.00 remaining in my ‘expatriot fund’ after having secured housing and a new job.”

My to-do list before leaving here tomorrow -- did I mention that I’m back in Brownsville? -- is to buy a programmable calculator, a new camera, visit a bookbinder (that could probably wait), and send away for a replacement G.E.D. and my plans for Glen-L 7.9 and [other] boathandling books. I have all of June to utilize the mailbox here and I expect that I will have all I will need before month’s end: The plans, patterns, books and documents to pursue boatbuilding in 2003 and 2004.

No comments: