Internet Chess Club

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Houston (2)

Tuesday, 10 June 2003. I wanted to end my life but decided that changing my work schedule would be a better idea. I wasn’t getting enough done in the twelve hours between 5pm and 5am, so I spent two days off in bed to adjust my internal clock. It was quite an experience and change for me to go from not being able to get out of bed to not being able to stay in bed.

“Sunday morning I determined to sleep through the entire day (if necessary) to get an early start Monday morning. The ‘beer-for-breakfast’ approach didn’t work so I had four more pints Sunday evening. ‘Still no success.’ I found myself up early Monday morning as planned but didn’t find myself in a completely wide-awake state. I ended up sleeping – making myself sleep – through the entire day until, finally, I got up this morning at 4:30am. ‘I spent more than 24-hours in bed!’”

Call it quite a “hullover” [in nautical terms] and a cause for celebration: I can now be up every morning at 5am and get through a 16-hour work day like normal folk. “Sure beats suicide -- not to mention falling behind in boatbuilding research.”

No comments: